Thursday, October 4, 2012

The Senior Project

This is a post I've been meaning to write for a few weeks now, but I'm just getting around to it today. Oh well, life has just been too busy recently. This post is all about my Senior Project!

Last year my school started a new thing called the Senior Project. Basically it's a year long project that includes a bunch of different assignments, one of the biggest being a research paper, and concludes with a 10 minute presentation to a board of judges in May.

You can pick to do your Senior Project on anything you want, as long as there is a learning stretch included. Well, I obviously decided to pick something to do with baking (duh!). I couldn't do anything with cake pops since there would be no learning stretch there, so instead I'm taking a different approach that's something I've always wanted to do....

I'm doing cake decorating!

I actually start my cake decorating class tonight at Michael's, and I'm literally SO excited. I packed all my stuff up last night - I feel like a 5 year old on Christmas Eve.


I had to buy a kit a few weeks ago for the class, and I was practically bursting when I saw all the goodies I got. I'm such a baking nerd :)

I'll obviously be keeping you updated on how the class goes and on how my whole cake decorating endeavor turns out!

My research paper involves researching how to open a bakery, and I can't believe it, but I'm actually kind of excited to write it. It's something I'm obviously interested in. Part of our requirement is to conduct 2 interviews, and I'm especially looking forward to those. I already have at least 2 bakeries in mind that I want to talk to!

I've also have a book on opening a bakery, and I haven't minded reading it!

Each girl is also given a mentor to help along the way. This morning was a breakfast to meet our mentors, and although my mentor couldn't make it, I can't wait to meet her eventually.

So overall, I'm super excited about this project because I'm doing it on a topic I love and am passionate about. I'll keep you updated along the way with how's it's going. And I'll obviously post soon about how my first class goes tonight!

No comments: