Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Alaska {Part 3}

My last Alaska post left off after our day in Denali, so I'm picking up where I left off. (Part 1 here, Part 2 here)

Day 4 - Friday, June 20 - Anchorage/Seward, AK
We left Denali Friday morning to ultimately head to Seward which was where we would catch the cruise ship. We made a pit-stop in Anchorage for a few hours on the way though. One thing that I loved about doing both the land and cruise was that I got to see so much of Alaska. I think I got a really good feel for the entire state since we started in the middle of the state and worked our way down the coast.

The ride from Denali to Anchorage was beautiful. It wasn't raining and the skies were clearer than any of the previous days, so we could actually see the mountains!


There were rugged snow covered mountains everywhere you looked.

I think this shot of the mountains through the clouds with the sun starting to come out is pretty neat.





Can you imagine driving down the highway next to this everyday?!

We only had about 2 hours in Anchorage, which again was a bummer because I really loved the city. Anchorage is the largest city in Alaska, and it was nice to be back in civilization after a few days of being out in the middle of nowhere. We ate lunch at a little seafood place called Humpy's, and I had really good fried fish there. Fresh seafood is always my favorite!


We spent the rest of our short time in Anchorage just walking around. It was a gorgeous day!

I loved how you were in the middle of a city, but you could still see the mountains surrounding it.

I also found a bakery that I had to stop at called Alaska Cake Studio.

I ordered the Chocolate Red Wine cupcake, and it was good! At first, I thought the sign said Chocolate Red Velvet, but then it turned out to be Red Wine. I was intrigued, so I had to try it. I definitely didn't taste any red wine in it, but it was still delicious.

We then started making our way to Seward. I had thought the drive from Denali to Anchorage was pretty, but the drive from Anchorage to Seward was even more gorgeous!


This is one of my favorite pictures from Alaska, and I just took it with my iPhone out the window of a moving bus. Ha!






I love this shot out the front window of the bus because you can see the mountains in the distance.

I shot a video as we were driving too. There's a little glare from my phone in parts of it, but I think it gives you a good feel for the scenery even when you were just driving down the highway.

Once we arrived in Seward, it was time to say goodbye to our tour guides from the land portion and board the cruise ship. We went on the Royal Caribbean Radiance of the Seas, and I really liked the ship!

When we got to our stateroom, we found some chocolate covered strawberries waiting for us from my aunt. Such a nice surprise!

My family decided that since Alaska would probably be a once-in-a-lifetime trip, we would splurge on a balcony cabin. It was definitely neat to be able to sit on the balcony and watch the mountains go by. The balcony was one of the first things we checked out after getting on board, and the mountains were pretty even when we were just docked in Seward.


We then went to explore some other parts of the ship. This was the Centrum, which was kind of like the main lobby. They had a bunch of events going on around here throughout the week.

We went up on deck too. It was a little weird being on the top deck of a cruise ship and wearing jeans and a sweatshirt, but that's Alaska for you ;)




I knew going into this trip that I wanted to take a Kappa Delta picture to use as my Facebook cover photo. I thought that I would take it in a few different places with some different scenery in the background and at the end of the trip, I would pick which one was my favorite to use. Well, I ended up only taking two pictures because the second one turned out SO good that I knew I couldn't get it any better ;) This was the first one I took, which still turned out cute. I'll be posting the better one in my next Alaska post!

After a little bit of exploring, it was time for dinner. Dinner on a cruise ship is simply the best. Everything is already paid for so you can order anything you want. Plus you get a starter, entree, and dessert every evening. I would give just about anything to have another cruise ship dinner! On our first night, I had fruit, prime rib, and carrot cake. I took a picture of my dessert every night, so be prepared for lots of yummy dessert pictures coming up.....

We spent the rest of the evening enjoying drinks on our balcony and going to the show. If I remember correctly, we went to bed kind of early that night because we had been so busy that day :)

This post is getting pretty long, so I'll stop there and pick up with our first full day of cruising later!

No comments: