Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Alaska {Part 7}

I know that I've been back from Alaska for almost a month, but I've still got more things to post. Ha! We were gone for so long and saw so many neat things that I want to write about everything......

Day 8 - Tuesday, June 24 - Icy Strait Point, AK
On this morning we got up and had breakfast in the dining room. I'm pretty sure we tried every possible place to eat breakfast on that ship! While the food was good, the dining room was probably my least favorite place to have breakfast. They ended up putting us at a table with a bunch of random people, which is usually fine, but after just waking up and wanting to get in and out kind of quick, it was a little bit of a pain. Oh well!

Our stop for the day was Icy Strait Point, which is practically nothing. They have a few little shops and places to eat right when you get off the boat, but that was pretty much it. The port is definitely just a place for cruise ships to stop at. We got off the boat pretty early and walked around the town and shoreline.


This was the dock when you got off the ship. Told you it wasn't a whole lot!




We spotted some bald eagles sitting up in the trees, which was neat. I totally thought that bald eagles were rare, but we saw them all over the place in Alaska!


 



We had a shore excursion booked (which is a must in Icy Strait!), and we went on a whale watching cruise. We got to see dolphins and whales, so it was definitely worth it. I had never seen a whale before, let alone one in the wilderness, so I was really excited.



It was hard to get a good picture of them - it's just something you have to see in real life!


I did like how this quick video I took turned out though.

My dad and I may have fell asleep on the boat ride back to the dock ;)

When we made it back to the dock, it started pouring, so we hopped back on the ship for lunch. As soon as we sat down to eat, the sun came back out. Then we went back out to walk around Icy Strait some more and it was overcast. Alaskan weather is all over the place!

Such a stereotypical small Alaskan town.

They had a little donut stand that we stopped at too. They made hot, fresh mini donuts that came with a chocolate dipping sauce and were SO good. I was pretty impressed, especially for such a tiny port.

When we got back on the boat, I read some of my book and took a short nap before it was time to get ready for our second formal night.



That night for dinner I had a three cheese tortellini - I'm a huge pasta fan, so I loved that entree. I ordered Baked Alaska for dessert. I had never had Baked Alaska before, but I figured that if I was going to try it sometime, I might as well do it in Alaska! It was really good too - it's chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry ice cream with a meringue topping.

We then enjoyed our usual after dinner routine of relaxing in the Quill & Compass before going to the show, which was a musical that evening. We also went to the Quest later that night, which is Royal Caribbean's adult game show that they have on all of their cruises. I had never been to it before, but I don't think I've ever laughed so much. We didn't participate, but it was super entertaining just to watch. It can get a little inappropriate at times (which is why it's an adults only thing), but I laughed so much!

And that was our day in Icy Strait Point. Bald eagles, whales, good food, and lots of laughs.......what more could you need?

No comments: