Tuesday, January 24, 2012

March for Life 2012

I've been missing from my blog the last few days because I've been in Washington DC for the March for Life! This was my second time going, and I had a lot of fun with my friends. This trip was different from last years, but it ended up still being pretty fun.

We left Saturday night and drove all through the night. My friends and I were really smart. We headed to the back of the bus first, and we each got 2 seats all to ourselves. It was nice having a little extra room to spread out on. I slept a lot better than I did last year!

The first thing we did when we got there was go to the Basilica. It's really neat, but this was my 3rd time going, so I had pretty much already seen all there is to see. We walked around for a little bit, and then sat down and relaxed in the cafeteria for about an hour - ha!

Next, we boarded the bus again and headed downtown. I always love seeing the Washington Monument!

We went to the Holocaust Museum again this year, and I'm really glad we did because last year we missed the main exhibit!

We had to wait in a line to get in, so we were having fun taking pictures outside!


In the main exhibit, you get a card with the story of a real person from the Holocaust, and at the end, you find out whether you lived or died. Unfortunately, my person died. The exhibit is really neat though and very eye-opening. It's so hard for me to imagine something like this happening to me.

We ate lunch afterwards, and then we went on a monument tour!

We passed the Bureau of Engraving and Printing. I went on a tour there a few years ago, and I loved it!

Our first stop was the Jefferson Memorial.

The view of the Washington Monument from the Jefferson Memorial.... 

My friend Melanie and I.

Then we went to the FDR Memorial. I'd never seen that one before, so it was neat finally being able to see it. My friends and I had a lot of fun taking pictures all around it.


I thought this dog statue was too cute!


I think this picture is so funny!

Next up was the Martin Luther King Memorial, which was another cool one that I'd never seen before.


Lincoln was the last one we went to, which has always been my favorite memorial for some reason!



After the monument tour, we turned on a movie, I fell asleep for about an hour :), and we headed to the church where we were sleeping for the night. Once we got there, we ate dinner, played a few games, and then had adoration. It was a neat experience, although I wasn't too thrilled about sleeping on a tile floor :)

We got up really early in the morning to go to the Verizon Center for a Youth Rally and Mass.

It was really neat! The mass lasted 2 hours, but it was probably the coolest mass I've ever been to. This is part of the procession of priests coming in. It was just really neat because they had upbeat music, and there were SO many people and cultures there.

We ate lunch when mass was over. The lunch was give to us by the church we had slept at the night before. I thought it was so cute how all the little kids had decorated our lunch bags for us!

Then we did the actual March for Life! That is definitely something to see, and if you ever have the chance to go, do it! It's a real eye-opening experience. I unfortunately didn't take any pictures of the march itself because it was raining! Oh well!

We met back up with our group at the Air and Space Museum. I would love to have the time to actually walk around this museum - it just seems so fun!

We got back on the bus and started our drive home. We stopped for dinner around 8, and the highlight was getting Starbucks. Just what I needed to get me through the rest of the bus ride.

They even had a cake pop flavor I'd never seen before - raspberry. I loved it!

We finally made it home after being delayed an hour at dinner because our bus had something wrong with it, and we had to switch to a new one. That was a big pain, but I'm so glad to be home now! It felt so good to sleep in today and take a nice hot shower.

I hope you all had a great weekend. I'm so excited I only have a 3 day week now!

No comments: