Thursday, October 24, 2013

Lemon Blossoms {Recipe}

I am totally a broken record, but this week has been too crazy to have time to blog, let alone do much of anything besides school stuff. So today is one of those days where I'm just publishing a post I wrote over the summer, but it's a good one!

.............................

I am not usually a big lemon fan. I don't like lemonade, and I don't like lemons in my water. I pretty much try to bypass anything with lemon in it.

And then I tried these Lemon Blossoms.


They pretty much changed my outlook on lemon flavored sweets.

They are SO good and SO easy to make. Even if you're not usually a big lemon person, you have to try these.

The original recipe can be found here from Paula Deen, but I would change a few things if I made them again, so I'm posting my very slightly adapted recipe here!

Ingredients

For Muffins:
- 18.5 oz. box of yellow cake mix
- 3.5 oz. package instant lemon pudding mix
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil

For Glaze:
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons water

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Spray mini muffin pan with cooking spray.

The spray with the flour in it is the best for baking!

Combine cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, and oil in the bowl of an electric mixer.

Sidenote: You can easily make this recipe gluten-free by using a gluten-free cake mix. My aunt made gluten-free ones the first time I tried them, but I'm not sure why I did too - ha! Just be careful that you have the right size cake mix and pudding mix though. I only had a 15 oz. cake mix and 1 oz. pudding mix, and the texture of the cake was a little off, so be careful about that!

Mix the batter about 2 minutes, until smooth.


Fill mini cupcake pan about half full with batter and bake for 12 minutes.

While they are cooking you can work on the glaze. Start off by sifting the powdered sugar into a large bowl.

Add the lemon juice (I would just use store bought - it's easier and not quite as strong as a lemon flavor), vegetable oil, and water. Mix until completely combined.

Sidenote: The original recipe called for the zest of a lemon as well. This is what I would cut out in the future - the glaze just seemed a little overpowering on the lemon. So unless you really like lemon, I would skip it.

Once the blossoms are done in the oven, let them sit a few minutes (you want them to be cool enough to touch, but still warm).

Then you can dip the top half of the blossoms (using your fingers) in the glaze. After dipping, set the blossoms on a cooling rack (with paper towels or wax paper underneath to catch drippings from the glaze). It takes about an hour for the glaze to completely harden and the blossoms to cool, but you know I didn't wait that long before trying one several.

Now you have about 4 dozen super delicious Lemon Blossoms!




So yummy - you really have to try these out!

No comments: