Friday, May 16, 2014

Online Shopping Obsession

Usually I hate to shop online mainly because I think it's fun to go to the mall/store and shop in person but also because I despise shipping costs. If I can buy something at a Macy's store close to my house for example, why on earth do I want to pay around $10 to have it delivered to me? I would much rather just drive to the store myself.

I also have a love/hate relationship with places that run the promotion of spend a certain amount and get free shipping. Macy's (which is hands down my favorite store to shop at in-person) has a $99 minimum purchase and then you get free shipping. Rarely do I go online to purchase $99 worth of merchandise, so I pretty much never place an online order with them.

Then you have the places like Amazon where they have a $25 minimum. Most of the time when I'm looking to order something from Amazon, it's less than $25. But then it usually turns out that I buy a $15 item with $5 shipping, and at that point it makes more sense to add in another $10 item just so you don't have to pay for shipping and feel like you're wasting your money. That gets me to spend more money at Amazon every time!

I saw this on Pinterest yesterday and laughed because it's totally true!
via

I have to say that my favorite place to shop online is usually Nordstrom simply because they have free shipping on any purchase. Love that! I have definitely bought more things from them online than I have in the store because to be honest, their sales people sometimes drive me nuts because half the time they won't leave you alone.

Enough of my shipping charges rant though :)

Lately I've been on an online shopping kick. It's always kind of a thrill when you get the email with the tracking number and then you can sit there and stalk your package while it's coming to you. Ha!

It started when I ordered these nude flats from Macy's. Like I said, I usually don't order stuff online from Macy's, but the shoes weren't in any of the stores close to me. Nordstrom carries them and had them on sale too, but even with the shipping charge from Macy's, they were going to cost me the same as ordering it from Nordstrom, so since I am more loyal to Macy's anyway, that's who I ordered from.
via

They are really cute, go with everything, and I needed a pair for sorority purposes. However, I have worn them once so far to work and by the afternoon my feet were killing me. As in the majority of the afternoon was spent sitting at my desk barefoot. I'm really hoping that they just need to be stretch out, but I swear I always have the worst luck with flats - I've never once found a pair that is comfortable!

My online shopping obsession grew to new heights when I discovered Jane.com a few weeks ago. It's actually kind of a funny story of how I heard about it. I was getting my nails done and was sitting at the drying station. Two girls were sitting there too, and I overheard them talking about how they're obsessed with Jane.com and how they have the cutest monogrammed things, etc. I was curious, so when I got home, I looked up this Jane.com and have been in love ever since!

It's one of those flash deal sites (so they're always getting new things each day), and the deals only last for a day or two. Everything on the site is cute boutique items. They sell everything from clothes, to home decor, to accessories, and even some kids clothes.

I recently purchased two items from Jane.com and was so impressed with both of them! The shipping charges are pretty small two - only a few dollars, so I didn't even mind paying for shipping especially since the items I bought were pretty cheap to begin with.

First, I got this pendant necklace. I got it in a lighter purple than is shown here, but you get the idea. It's pretty simple, but it's cute and cost me around $5 (with shipping!). You really can't beat that!

I also got this adorable top. Seriously - I think it may be one of my new favorite shirts. It's so unlike anything else in my closet! I got it in the dark blue, and my favorite thing about the shirt is the bow (which is kind of hard to see in the picture, but if you look hard at the girl in middle, you can see it). What's also neat is that you can wear it either with the bow in the front or the back - and it's super cute either way!
via

I wore both my new shirt and pendant on Wednesday, and I loved them both. I wish you could see how cute the bow looked in the back, but it was too hard to take a picture of that!

I also have another package currently on its way to me (I told you I've had an online shopping problem lately!). I placed an order with Barnes and Noble a few days ago because I needed a book that wasn't in stock anywhere around here. The book was $13, but they have the spend $25 and get free shipping thing, so I figured I might as well get my order up to $25 so I wouldn't have to pay for shipping.

So, I ended up ordering....

The $100 Startup by Chris Guillebeau. This was the one I originally needed for a summer Honors project I'm working on - I'll tell you more about that in a post soon!

French Toast by Harriet Welty Rochefort. It's a nonfiction book about a woman who moved to Paris and wrote a book about her observations. I have a Paris problem ;)

At that point I was only a dollar or two away from $25, so I added in Miss Congeniality since it was $4.99, and I love that movie (and surprisingly don't already own it).

So as you can see, I've gone a little crazy with the online shopping this month. I've been checking Jane.com everyday just to see what they have, but I've had to resist buying anything else (at least until my credit card bill ends for this month - which thankfully is only in a few more days. Ha!).

I hope you all are having a great Friday and have an even better weekend. I have nothing going on today, so I may just lay around the house in my pajamas and try to get some things done before a busy weekend starts!

No comments: