Thursday, March 7, 2013

Unexpected.

Can you believe I've blogged 4 days in a row?!? This is going to be a short post, but one I wanted to make sure I wrote, and least for my own purposes :)

Sometimes I think, at least for me, that it can be easy to get caught up in the routine of daily life. I get up every morning at 6:05. I get out of school every single day at 2:34. On any given school day, you can find me waiting outside the school the kids I babysit go to at 3:30. My life has a lot of routine. I tend to go to bed around the same time every night, and it works for me because I like routines.

But at the same time, I really appreciate something unexpected in the middle of normal routine day. And today I got that. You might not find it that interesting, but it was out of the ordinary enough for me to want to write it down and remember it.......

The little boy I babysit (again, not writing names for security reasons!) is 7 years old. He can drive me nuts sometimes, but most days he's pretty good. But still, 7 year olds don't think of others before themselves a whole lot because they just haven't quite learned that yet. But today he went out of his way to think of me, and I have to tell you - it left a big impact on me. I'm not saying he's normally a bad kid, but he went above and beyond today!

When we got home from school, he was telling me about how their dad made pound cake last night. He offered me a piece, but I declined because I always feel bad about eating their food, especially homemade treats - ha! But he kept on insisting, saying that he just "wanted me to try a little bit". So I gave in because it seemed like it would make him happy. For some odd reason he always loves to offer me food. Normally it's stuff I don't like, but thankfully today it was something I knew I'd like.

And I have rarely seen the kid so excited over something, which is funny that he was this excited over pound cake. But anyway, he got out a plate, cut a piece for me, and topped it strawberries and whipped cream, since he said that was the best way to have it. Then he asked what kind of fork I wanted and presented it to me on their island.

I was laughing because it was just so cute. He was dying for me to dig in, but I asked him if I could take a picture of it first, to which he replied "yeah, that's great".

So here is my delicious dessert completely assembled by a 7 year old (and I think he may have a culinary future - ha!).

He was SO happy when I told him that it was good (and it seriously was!). And then he rushed off to pour me a glass of milk. He handed me the milk, and told me to "enjoy my pound cake" before he headed upstairs to watch a movie.

I was pretty much left speechless because he has never gone out of his way like that before. I was extremely impressed by this side of him that I had never really seen!

It just goes to show that God can put even the simplest joys into the most ordinary days.

Out of all the good days I've had babysitting those kids, I think this will be one I'll always remember :)

No comments: