Monday, April 22, 2013

Colorful Flower Cake

Last week I made a cake that I have to say is probably my favorite one I've made so far. I think it turned out great, and it was perfect practice for my wedding cake. I am now much more confident that the wedding cake will turn out perfect.

I started off by covering the cake in homemade fondant, which is, in my opinion, the only way to go when it comes to fondant. Store bought seriously tastes like play dough - gross!

I made a few little mistakes, but I was able to cover most of those up later. That's the great thing about cakes - most mess-ups can be easily hidden!


Then I topped the cake with tons of homemade flowers. I made a bunch of different colored fondant flowers, and then filled in the gaps with buttercream flowers.


I love this view - you can really see all of the different flowers and colors!






The best thing about making cakes though? Taking it into school and sharing it with friends. I'm so thankful to have friends who love it when I bring in cake. I love being able to brighten someone's day with a slice of cake or a cake pop. That makes all of the hard work and effort worth it to me!

I actually had some of my friends in my social studies class staring me down until I agreed to cut up the cake for them. I can't begin to express how grateful I am to have friends who are so supportive of my baking. I really couldn't ask for better classmates and friends!

No comments: