Friday, November 22, 2013

College is Better Than High School

When you are about to start college, everyone you see pretty much asks you if you're ready and excited.

My response was always that I was excited, but also a little nervous.

About 99% of the time, that response was followed with a statement similar to: "You'll be fine. College is better than high school anyway".

I never believed them.

I didn't think college could possibly be better than high school because my high school experience was pretty darn good.

I had great teachers and some amazing classmates.

I thought that something that good couldn't possibly happen again.

I mean, I couldn't be that lucky, could I?

Apparently I could because Friday night the realization hit me:

College really is better than high school.

Don't get me wrong - I would kill to have one more day with my high school friends that I don't see that often anymore. I'm dying to visit some of my old high school teachers.

But college is pretty awesome too.

For the first few months, I kept thinking to myself that college and high school were just so different that I couldn't see how one was necessarily better than the other.

And then I had a day like last Friday.

In my communications class, my professor knows me by name (which I think is impressive for attending a school that 40,000 other students do), and she knows how much I love to bake since I gave that presentation on it. So she had been at an event the previous day where BonBonerie cookies had been served, and she grabbed me one for "inspiration for future baking projects". Nothing will kick-start my day off great better than a free BonBonerie cookie!

After class my friend Courtney and I had to hang up signs in the engineering building. It was actually kind of fun wandering around and exploring some buildings I had never been to before!

Normally I eat lunch by myself (since most of my new friends have meal plans and eat in the dining halls and it is crazy expensive to eat in there with them), but on Friday I ended up running into one of my old friends, so I got to have lunch with her!

My afternoon class was cancelled, so after work I got to head straight home and get ready for my first Kappa Delta semi-formal.


It was so funny because the dance was held at a hall about 10 minutes from my house. I was actually closer to home than UC!

The dance was seriously SO fun though. Definitely better than some of my high school dances.

At the end of the dance, all of the seniors went into the middle of the dance floor while everyone else formed a circle around them. The DJ played a couple songs, including one that apparently they always end dances with. I can't remember what the song was, but they had changed the words to fit Kappa Delta, and it was just so neat for me to see all of the seniors singing this song and getting a little sad about how it was their last semi-formal. It made me realize how fast time goes and how much Kappa Delta really becomes a part of your life.

So in short, Friday was a pretty fantastic day that I won't be forgetting any time soon.

I just feel so blessed to be a part of the UC and Kappa Delta communities!

No comments: