Monday, August 18, 2014

My Last Summer

As this summer is quickly coming to a close, I am starting to get a little sad about it being over. I'm always a little sad to see the summer end but even more so this year than in past years.

That's because this is my last summer.


I've had nineteen summers of sleeping in, relaxing, having fun, and just being able to do whatever. And this is the last one. Forever.

I know that technically summer is just a season, and I will have many more summers. It will be hot and sunny again come next June, and I'll still go on trips and go swimming. I'll still go to summer concerts outside and take walks in the park. This wasn't the last summer that I'll eat ice cream at Zip Dip or go to Easton for a summer shopping trip.

But it was the last summer of sleeping in more days than not. It was the last summer of being able to spend Thursdays at home watching movies and going to the zoo on a Tuesday afternoon. And that makes me a little sad.

Next summer I will be in school full time. The summer of 2016, I'll be working full time. From here on out, I will either be a full time student or a full time employee. How has this happened already?!


The weird thing about it too is that these summers of going to school or working 40 hours a week are going to continue on indefinitely. It's not like I get to try it out for a few years and then go back to the way things have been for the past nineteen years.

This is it. My last free summer until who knows when. Maybe one year I'll have another free summer if I'm ever a stay-at-home mom, or maybe my next free summer will be in 40 years when I retire (that's a scary thought!).

So I am a little sad knowing that one phase of my life is over and that it really is time to start being an adult. I'm just praying that when I do start working full time, it's doing a job that doesn't feel like work all day. I don't know what that will be, and that's a little scary. My time to be working full time is coming up fast and I still have no idea what I really want to do with my life. Yikes!

I'm just going to take it day-by-day and hope I figure it out eventually.

I also hope that being in school and working during the summer isn't going to be as bad as I think it will be. Because I really love my summers :)

No comments: