Wednesday, May 22, 2013

The Last Day

Today was my last day of high school classes. Gosh, I still can't even believe it. It is insane how fast it went. I feel like I still ought to be coming back next year, but I'm not. So I of course wanted to document the day so that I will always remember my last day spent with the girls that started off as strangers but grew to be my friends.

The day actually started off on a not-so-good note. I woke up around 3 AM this morning feeling really bad. I kept getting up throughout the night with stomach pains. Not fun! I was really worried that I wouldn't be able to make it into school today, but with the help of some prayers and a whole lot of medicine, I'm feeling myself again. So thankful for that!

Our classes were only 20 minutes today, so we skipped homeroom and went straight to our A period class, which for me is BC Calculus. The girls hung out a little bit, talked, and turned in our 10 year letter before the boys showed up. We then took a class picture and finished up our Senior Talks. Basically, our teacher had everyone stand up in the front of the room and say where they're going to college, what they're majoring in, their hopes and dreams for the future, and where they hope to be in 10 years. I thought it was so interesting to hear everyone talk, although it made me a little sad to see we are all going our separate ways. My Calculus teacher has been one of my favorite teachers ever, and she hugged us all on the way out and wished us luck. Anddddddddd, that's when my eyes started tearing up, which was pretty much a problem all day long :(

In my study hall I had no school work I needed to do, so I ran down to my guidance counselor to thank her for everything and to give her a thank you note. She was of SO much assistance to me over the past 4 years. I really couldn't have asked for a better counselor.

Spirituality was next, and my teacher spent most of the class reading us a passage from Acts of the Apostles and relating it to 2013. She then had us stand up in different groups according to what everyone was studying in college while the rest of the class prayed over them.

My government class was very interesting! We have been dying for our teacher to take us up on the roof since he does for one of his other classes. We've been asking for weeks, and his response has always been no. Well, we of course had to try again today since it was our last opportunity. We even called in the vice principal in order to reassure Mr. Pharo that he had the authority to take us up there. Then we ran out of class time and some of the girls guarded the doors (think hostage situation - ha!) until he agreed. At the very last minute he told us to come back at 11:30 (during lunch) and he would take us up then. We were so excited!

Next up was stats. Our teacher had one last lesson to show us today, which revolved around life lessons. He read us some of his favorite quotes, gave us some advice, and encouraged us to be the best people we can be. His little motto is "Make it a great day," and he ends every class and e-mail with it. Well today he ended class with "Make it a great life." You can bet that made me tear up a bit.........

Then we had our last all school mass. I've had all-school masses for the past 13 years. It's so crazy to me to think that I'll never attend another one again. The theme of the mass was light, and I thought all of the readings and songs were very fitting for the end of the school year and the beginning of a new journey. My friend Morgan also gave the gospel reflection, which was awesome!

The whole school had lunch at the same time after that. On days where we all eat at the same time, some of my friends and I usually go to eat in one of the teacher's room since it is so crazy in the lunchroom.

And then it was the moment we had all been waiting for..................
.
..
...
....
.....
....
...
..
.

THE ROOF!

My whole government class headed up there through a secret little passageway that I never even knew existed until today. You could see pretty far and it was such a gorgeous day outside.




Our class! AP Government and World Since 1900 was difficult at times, but I always looked forward to that class because of the people in it. We never missed an opportunity to joke about something :)



We then did a little bit more exploring of the school before it was time to head to our next class: English. We didn't really do anything in there except wrap up a few things. Going into senior year, I was most nervous for AP English because I don't really like English and it isn't my strongest point. I am happy that I ended up taking it though and am proud of myself for getting through it and doing well in the class.

My last class of the day is art. We actually have to come in for art class tomorrow, so I wasn't too sad about it quite yet. It will be weird though since it will be my last art class ever.

School ended with an awards assembly and early dismissal.

Overall, my last day of senior year was very memorable, as was my entire high school experience. I wouldn't have wanted to attend any other school, and I am so blessed to have been able to go to Catholic schools all my life. My teachers were telling us today that just because we graduate doesn't mean they can't still help us with anything we would need. I thought that was so kind of them to say that, and I just don't think I would have gotten that kind of education at public schools (not saying public schools are bad though!).

So although I'm sad that it's almost over, I am just so happy that it happened in the first place.

No comments: