Thursday, May 9, 2013

Mascara & Tear Stained Face

As I start this post I have mascara running down my face and tears welling up in my eyes. I admit I have been a bit more emotional than usual lately, but today was an especially emotional day.

It was my last day of babysitting.

It seems like just yesterday I wrote this post talking about getting the job. I was lucky that it kind of just fell into my lap. One of my mom's friend passed along my information to them, they contacted me, and I got the job.

It has really worked out perfect for me. I've only had to work during the week for a few hours each day, and I have genuinely come to care about and love these kids as if they were my own family.

Now, there were some rough days, especially in the beginning. The boy (keeping names confidential still!) shooting a Nerf gun at my neck? What about the time he called 911 and the police showed up at the front door?

But those days were few and far between, and once he got used to me it's been much better.

I have made so many good memories with them over the past 2 years. From popcorn parties and watching movies, to laughing about silly Halloween jokes, to taking crazy pictures on their iPad, and the cupcake scavenger hunt, I have enjoyed every minute.

Now I'm just wishing I had a few more minutes left :)

So this afternoon I drove to their house and made the walk up to school one last time. Thankfully it was a gorgeous day! I have made this walk so many times that I was sad to be doing it only one more time.

I stood there at the crosswalk, the place I've waited for them all year, and I got SO sad. I stood there knowing that I would never do that again for the rest of my life, and I'm not good with "lasts."

When we got back home, the kids dropped off their backpacks, and we headed to Zip Dip for ice cream. They were so excited that I was taking them out for treats - I'm glad I did it!

Really funny side story...... On the drive over there, we were stopped at a red light and the driver of a car coming in the opposite direction said "hey" just as he drove by (I'm assuming on he was talking on the phone). Well that turned into a whole conversation about whether he was my boyfriend - ha! The boy I babysit said "I think he said hey to you because he thinks you're cute." Hahahahaha! I was dying laughing :)

Ice cream was a success. We headed back home afterwards and I watched some TV on the couch with them. I was trying to soak in as much as I could since I knew I didn't have much time left.

Their parents both got home at the same time and had a really sweet graduation present to give me. They wrote me a nice note, but I actually just pretended to read it while I was there because I knew it would make me cry - ha! They also gave me this super nice UC pullover. It's totally my style, and I can't wait to wear it next year. I have a feeling it is going to be one of my favorite UC items!

I also got a picture taken with them. I had realized that I didn't have a single picture of me with them, and after being with them for 2 years, I thought it would be nice. Definitely a picture I'll treasure for a long time. I got some parting hugs and left before they could see me cry.

I made it out to my car and got my sunglasses on before the tears really started! I was proud of myself. I have just been overly emotional lately, and that sent me over the edge. I'm pretty sure I cried for about half an hour because I'm such a dork.

As my time babysitting came to an end I was extremely grateful for the opportunity to get to know those kids so well over the last 2 years. I couldn't have asked for a better job.

It's still so weird though to think that at I'll never have to force them to do their homework at 4:30 again. I'll never have to break up a fight between them again. I'll never have to feed their crayfish Mellow Yellow again - ha!

Hopefully they'll ask me to babysit some more, and I'm hoping to stay in touch. Either way, I know that they have impacted me for the better, and for that I'll always be thankful.

No comments: