Sunday, August 18, 2013

Bonfires & Princesses

I enjoyed a really nice weekend with my family. It's so weird how all of my friends are heading off to college and settling into their dorms, while I'm still chilling at home with a week left until school starts.

On Friday afternoon my mom and I headed out to the mall because Macy's was having extra discount. If you're in the market for some new shoes (or even if you aren't), you need to get to Macy's! They have a huge clearance rack of summer shoes that are 80% off. I got a pair of $140 Isaac Mizrahi nude wedges for $20!

My family and I went to two bonfires over the weekend as well. Friday night's was at a family friend's house, and Saturday night's was at my cousin's house. Honestly, I am so blessed to have such great family and family friends. Hanging out with family this weekend made me miss my friends a little bit less :)

The biggest thing I did this weekend though was tackle a cake pop order. I don't know what it is, but I will sometimes go months without an order and then get two in the same week - it happens pretty much every time! I had one this weekend, and I have another one for next weekend that I can't wait to share with you all.

Anyway, this week's order was for my cousin's 7th birthday party, and she requested Disney princess themed cake pops. I was a little nervous at first (but not too nervous - I live for experimenting and taking on more "complex" orders). Thanks to some ideas from Pinterest though, I was so happy with the way they turned out.

One of my favorite steps in making specific designs is planning it all out. I'll sit down for a half hour to an hour and scour the Internet looking for ideas and inspiration, and then write down exactly what I'm going to need and how many cake pops to make of each color/design. It takes a little bit of creativity to organize it all while trying not to waste any supplies!

Once I had everything organized, I cranked up Tangled and got to work. I always love to either turn on a movie (preferably a musical I can sing along to) or just some music while I work. If I'm home alone, I'll turn the volume way up - it makes it so much more fun!

Some of the cake pops before they became princesses.....

These were my princess-inspired pops. Just basically colors and/or designs that reminded me of each of the princesses. I love the way the "under the sea" one turned out especially!

And these are the actual princess pops. They ended up looking so cute, and they were also easier than I had expected - bonus! I did Belle, Sleeping Beauty, Ariel, Rapunzel, Jasmine, Snow White, and Cinderella. It was hard for me to figure out which ones were actually considered the Disney princesses these days - ha! I still think of just the classics from when I was little :)






The big princess party was this afternoon.


The cake pops were a big hit!


It's always so rewarding for me to see my family and friends get excited about my cake pops - that's why I love making them so much!

Happy Birthday Maddie!

It was such a fun weekend. I just can't believe that I start college a week from tomorrow - yikes!

No comments: