Monday, August 5, 2013

Downtown Days

I feel like over the past week I have spent most of my time downtown. I was downtown this past Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, which never happens!

I always used to think that Cincinnati was kind of a boring city to live in, but lately I feel like we have had so much fun things going on and tons of new development. I really do love living here!

On Wednesday, after work, I headed across the river to Newport to meet a few friends for dinner.

We had dinner at Dewey's and decided to walk across the Purple People Bridge.

We then realized that Party in the Park was going on by the Serpentine Wall, so we walked over there to check it out.

They had a band playing, food booths set up, and lots of people playing and tossing frisbee in the middle of the park. It was really neat!

Then we finished up the night with some Coldstone (my favorite!) and talking in Barnes and Noble. Such a fun night!

On Thursday my mom and I went downtown to meet my dad for lunch. We usually do this at least once during the summer, and it's always one of my favorite things. We had lunch at Potbelly on Fountain Square!

We got some Yagoot before heading up to the top of the Carew Tower. It was such a perfect day!




That's UC on the top of the hill!



I also went to see The Conjuring (not as scary as I was expecting!) that night with one of my friends. My mom and her friends went too, so we grabbed Mexican after the movie. So delicious! This Mexican restaurant is really close to my house and has been there for as long as I can remember, but this was my first time ever going there. I really liked it!

On Friday my mom and I tried a new bakery that is also really close to my house and has been there for I don't know how long. Their pastries were so beautiful and tasted even better than they looked :)

That night I headed downtown again with some friends. For Friday night Reds games, they shoot off fireworks after the game. We didn't go to the baseball game, but we got Orange Leaf, watched the fireworks go off, and then sat around and talked for awhile. It was so fun and something a little different!





On Saturday night my family headed back downtown for an event called Lumenocity. It was held in a park in Over-the-Rhine (which is typically not a nice neighborhood) that has recently been renovated. They've really been trying to bring back the area and improve it. This was my first time at the park, and it was pretty neat.

They had the Pops and Cincinnati Symphony playing a free concert in front of Music Hall, and it was packed.

They had a bunch of food booths and food trucks set up too. This waffle food truck looked SO delicious, but I passed on it since I thought it'd be hard to eat a waffle while walking and surrounded by so many people.

But I did stumble upon a gelato food truck that I had to try! I got Dutch Chocolate and Sea Salt Caramel together - that's my new favorite ice cream combination.


Then we settled in to watch the show!

We had heard that it was a light show too, but honestly, I thought that was going to be kind of lame. I was expecting some spotlights or lasers flashing around. It turned out to be the coolest part of the show though. They used Music Hall as a backdrop and somehow used advanced technology to light up the building and make it appear as though it was moving.


Seriously, this might be one of the coolest things I've experienced in my hometown!




Needless to say, I've had a busy but fun few days! This past week has made me so grateful to live where I do :)

No comments: