Monday, June 24, 2013

Makeup Monday {5 Minute Face}

I'm one of those girls that doesn't leave the house without makeup on. I like to at least even out my complexion and put on some mascara before facing the rest of the world. If you're like me though, you don't have a whole bunch of time in the mornings. If it's a weekday, I do a minimal amount of makeup because I don't have time to do a whole face of foundation and a bunch of eyeshadow.

This routine is what I expect I'll be using a lot in college this fall. In high school, I did pretty much everything except the eye color since I went to an all girls school and most of the girls barely even brushed their hair let alone applied makeup - ha!

So today I'm sharing with you my 5 minute face. It's quick, easy, uses only a handful of products, still provides good coverage, and makes you look much more awake and human.

Step 1: Moisturize
I usually use the Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion, mainly because I can get it for free during Clinique Bonus a lot.

Lately though I've been using the Estee Lauder DayWear Advanced Multi-Protection Anti-Oxidant Creme. I have found it to be moisturizing, while also helping my makeup stay on a little bit longer throughout the day. It smells good too and just seems to be an overall really good product. I think I like it better than the Clinique moisturizer.

Step 2: Eyes
I have found the perfect alternative to a full lid of eyeshadow when you're running out of time but still want something on your lids. I start off by using the light gold end of the Revlon Smoky Shadow Stick in Atomic. I apply it all over my eyelid.

I then smudge a little bit of the Clinique Chubby Stick Shadow Tint for Eyes in Fuller Fudge on the outer corner of my eye and blend it towards the middle a bit. I have really been using this product a lot lately. It's the same idea as the Revlon Sticks, but I do find that the Clinique one is better quality and applies much smoother.

I then use a little bit of the darker side of the Revlon Smoky Shadow Stick on the outer corner.

I finish up my eyes with some mascara. If you only have 30 seconds for makeup in the morning, you should do mascara! I alternate between the three different mascaras I have, which are Benefit's They're Real!, Clinique's High Impact Mascara, and Covergirl's Waterproof Lash Blast Volume. Lately though I've been using a little bit of the Clinique and then going over it with a second coat of the Covergirl.

Step 3: Face
If I have time, I use the Urban Decay Pore Perfecting Complexion Primer Potion next. It really smooths out your face. I just apply it to my nose and cheeks, as those are the areas that are the roughest for me.

Now, I have to admit something................
......
.....
....
...
..
.

I haven't used liquid foundation in weeks! In fact, over the past few months, I have really only used it a handful of times!

Instead, I have been using Clinique's Age Defense BB Cream (Shade 2). I find that it's quicker (you just apply it with your fingers), and it provides excellent coverage when used with a moisturizer and primer. I can put it on in the morning and go all day (even in the summer), and when I take off my makeup at night, it's still on my face. It feels much more natural than a liquid foundation too. Basically I just use foundation on special occasions now when I want a little extra coverage (the last time I used it was at my graduation!).

Step 4: Concealer
My favorite concealer is the MAC Studio Finish Concealer (Shade NC20). It's a little pricey, but I've been using it everyday for probably about 9 months and I haven't even hit the bottom of the pan yet. A little goes a long way, so I think it is well worth the money since it doesn't even have to be purchased once a year!

Step 5: Powder
I cover my face with a thin dusting of powder just to set all of my makeup. I use the Covergirl Tru Blend Pressed Powder (Shade Translucent Fair).

Step 6: Undereye Concealer
This is another step that I never miss when heading out the door. The Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Dark Circles Eraser (Shade Fair) is the best stuff ever!

Step 7: Blush
Blush is one of those items that is super flexible in my makeup routine. I usually end up picking whatever shade I feel like wearing. One of these days I need to get a few more blushes to choose from, but for now I have three. The Tarte Amazonian Clay 12-Hour Blush in Exposed is one I use more in the fall and winter since it's a little bit of a darker tan-ish pink (it just looks like a winter color to me). I really like the Maybelline Dream Bouncy Blush in Candy Coral since it's the perfect coral color. The texture of it is a little weird though, as it is a cross between a cream and powder blush. My only drawback to it is that the loose bristles in my blush brush tend to get stuck in the blush and winds up looking kind of gross - ha!

My favorite blush though, and the one I use probably most often is the Nars Orgasm. It's the perfect pink with little flecks of gold. That was the first high-end makeup product I ever bought, and I still haven't hit the pan on this one either.

Step 9: Lips
Again, this is one of those parts of my makeup routine that I can have a bit of fun with. I usually keep some of my favorite lip products on my desk within reach, so I'll either grab one those, or I'll apply it later (if I'm not leaving the house right away) when I'm heading out the door. I have so many lip products (an almost embarrassing amount but I seem to just keep buying more) that I keep a couple different ones in each of my purses. I tend to switch purses almost daily, so I'm constantly rotating lip products too.

And that's my super quick school morning makeup routine. It takes me about 5 minutes, but the payoff is great. My skin tone looks even, my eyes look awake, and my eyelids look like I spent a lot of time on them when I really didn't. Overall, it works super great for me!

No comments: