Thursday, July 25, 2013

Life = Good

This past weekend my parents went out of town on an adults-only trip with some of their friends. That left me with a long weekend (4 nights) all to myself. At first I wasn't sure how I was going to like it, but it ended up being fun! Not that I didn't miss my family (because I did), but it almost felt like a little mini vacation getting to do a lot of things on my own. Talk about a whole lot of freedom!

On Saturday I went for a nice long walk in my neighborhood with my iPod cranked. Not something I usually do, but it was fun.

I went out to the BonBonerie in the afternoon. It's one of my favorite bakeries around here, but I really don't go that often because it's off the beaten path, so I made the special detour!

There were so many good things to choose from.

I was torn between one of their signature cookies (my favorite) and a macaron. I ended up going with the cookie. I'll just have to go back soon and try the macaron and some of the other things :)

Then I headed out the mall. I love shopping with other people, but I admit that sometimes it's just as enjoyable going by myself - ha! It's nice to be able to go wherever you want and spend as much time shopping in whatever store you feel like.

I went out there with the mindset that I would only buy a new book at the bookstore (which I did). I'm going shopping with my friend tomorrow, and I didn't want to spend a lot of money. So this was a window shopping trip. And I did do some window shopping. I saw this super cute book at Anthropology that is right up my alley, but I passed on it thinking I could maybe pick it up tomorrow.

But then I ended up deviating from the plan a bit - ha! There were such good sales that I just couldn't pass up some of the deals. When I went to Ulta, I realized I had a coupon for $3.50 off a $10 purchase. Maybelline products were also BOGO 50% off , and I've been wanting to pick up a few Maybelline things. So I ended up getting over $13 worth of products for $7! Then Sephora had their OPI nail polish line 50% off. You never see Sephora having a good sale like that, especially on OPI, so I just had to pick up a new bottle. I also found a cute cardigan at Macy's that was originally $44 that I got for $4 after discounts. WHAT? 90% off! Hello! With deals that good, it would have been a sin to say no. Right?

There was one point where I was browsing in Barnes & Noble after just shopping in Ulta (one of my simple pleasures in life), I was having a little conversation on Instagram with one of the girls I met on orientation talking about stuff we want to do together in the fall (so fun!), and I had just read two texts from friends about doing something the next day. It was one of those moments where my heart felt so full that I thought it would burst. I love those times when everything seems just perfect in life.

I also found a cupcake bakery right by the mall that I didn't even know existed! I know, I know, two bakeries in one day. I'm crazy. My rationale was that since my parents were on vacation, I was basically on vacation too. And on vacation we do things like eat lots of dessert and have ice cream every day. So I was just acting like I was on vacation. See, totally normal. Makes sense to you too, right? :)

It was a cute little shop that I would definitely go back to. Gigi's is a national chain, but I just never knew we had one. How cute is their packaging?

They really like their frosting apparently. I got the Red Velvet (duh!), but I would love to try some of the other flavors. I liked their Red Velvet - the frosting was good even though there was so much of it. I didn't think the icing was too overpowering, which was good.

Sunday afternoon I went to the park and took a walk by myself. It was such a perfect afternoon!

I hung out with my favorite pup some too.

I had dinner that night with a few friends as well. Then we swung by Graeter's since it was National Ice Cream Day and their cones were $1.43. Yum!

On my way home from work Monday it started absolutely pouring. As in, I was going 25 in a 45 because I could barely see anything. And then I took this picture less than half an hour later. Clear and sunny! Our weather is SO bipolar.

Since the storm had passed so quick, I went to Target that night just to look around, and I ended up leaving with this book. I used to get this devotional e-mailed to me every morning, and I really enjoyed it. With not getting the e-mails though, I never look at them anymore, and I wanted to get back into it. I'm excited to start my day off with a little inspiration every morning now :)

I also went through the Chick-fil-a drive thru to get a Cookies & Creme shake, which is my absolute favorite. A shake always makes for a better day!

On Tuesday afternoon I went swimming with one of my friends and had so much fun! I haven't had a lot of time to swim this summer, so it was nice to just relax and talk.

That night I curled up in bed early with Coco and turned on a movie. I watched lots of movies these past few days (including Christmas Vacation which I have to watch at least once every summer - ha!). I also had the perk of sleeping in my parents' queen size bed with the flat screen TV. I'm going to miss that......

I woke up the next morning with my sweet puppy snuggled up right next to me. Is there anything better?

Silly selfies before work!

My parents came home last night with a few goodies, including a big tub of my favorite Harry & David chocolate fruit. I'm pretty sure I could eat my weight in this stuff :)

It was a little weird being home by myself these past few days. I had to take care of the dog, and make sure the house was all locked up, do the dishes, and make myself dinner. It was a lot of responsibility I'm not used to - ha! But even though I definitely had fun, I'm even more happy to have my family back home!

No comments: