Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Remember When: Birthday Shopping


I unfortunately don't have any pictures to go along with this post, so it's just going to be a wordy one!

With my birthday coming up on May 3, I thought I'd do this week's Remember When Wednesday on a birthday memory! Next week's post is going to be a birthday one too :)

When I was little my Grandma and Grandpa (and then just my Grandpa when my Grandma passed away) would take the grandkids out "birthday shopping." It was so much fun and I looked forward to it every year!

They would pick us up, and take us to whatever store or stores we wanted. We got to spend around $100 (which is a lot, especially when you're a little kid!). After we finished our shopping, we would stop at the candy store and pick out whatever candy we wanted. Then we would end the outing by going to dinner at whatever restaurant we chose.

Birthday shopping memories are some of my favorites that I have with my grandparents!

It's funny to think back on how things changed over the years. When I was real little, I would love to go to Target and Toys'R'Us to buy some toys, clothes, and lipgloss. When I got a little bit older, I loved stocking up on CDs and DVDs. Then there was one year where I only bought one thing: a Vera Bradley backpack purse. The last year I went we went out to the mall and I only bought clothes.

Isn't it crazy how you tend to buy different things as you get older?

I no longer go birthday shopping anymore, now my Grandpa gives me money to go shopping on my own. That isn't quite as fun, but it was just too hard since I like to go to a lot of different places and stores now a-days.

Overall, birthday shopping is something I'll always remember when it comes to my birthday. There was just something about the whole trip that reminds me of my childhood. Looking back on it, I now realize how blessed I am to have such a loving family! As a kid, you don't tend to think about the blessings you have, but I've learned to appreciate them more the older I get.

This was kind of a rambling post, but I hope you got the gist of what I was saying.

I love the added freedoms that come along with each passing year, but sometimes I still wish I was little.

That way I could still go birthday shopping for Polly Pockets and Avril Lavigne CDs.

:)

No comments: