Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Funny How a Melody Sounds Like a Memory

There's just something about music that is so unique. It has the power to make people feel, and it's so universal that people in very different walks of life can still enjoy the same kind of music. But one of my favorite things about music is how a certain song can hold so many deep memories. A song can transport you back to a different time in your life and it can make you remember things you thought you had forgot.

So today I'm taking a little walk down memory lane by sharing some of the songs that hold special memories for me!

The Climb - Miley Cyrus
This song always reminds me of my 8th grade graduation. The song came out my 8th grade year, and our grade kind of made it "our song". At our graduation brunch, there was a slide show of pictures of us through the years, and this song was one of the ones on that slide show. I can still remember all of us standing together in the back of our gym watching the pictures and listening to this song. Definitely a memory I'll never forget!



Burnin' Up - Jonas Brothers
Ahh, this song brings me back to a lot of summer memories, but mainly to the Jonas Brothers concert I went to in 2009. I went with my friends Abby and Ashley, and it is one of my favorite memories. We got to meet several of the band members, and our seats were really good too!





Empire State of Mind - Alicia Keys
This song reminds me so much of my trip to New York! I made a whole New York playlist before we went with New York themed songs, and this was one of them. I can specifically remember watching the ice skaters in Central Park, and this song was playing on the speakers. New York at Christmas is one of my most cherished memories.





Girl Next Door - Saving Jane
Back in 2006, I went on a Gatlinburg trip with my mom, one my friends, her mom, and her sisters. It was a fun girls weekend! We found a random CD in our condo, and this was one of the songs on it. I remember we listened to that CD over and over on that trip, and this song always reminds me of it!



I See the Light - Mandy Moore & Zachary Levi
This is my favorite Tangled song! Last year my English class had a sleepover where we had planned on watching The Scarlet Letter. It ended up being a terrible movie, so we switched to Tangled instead. It was such a fun night, and I know I'm going to miss all of those girls next year!

Be - Jessica Simpson
I used to be a huge Jessica Simpson fan back in the day. Whenever I hear this song, I am reminded of a specific sleepover with my cousins where we watched the Jessica Simpson concert DVD and ate pints of Ben & Jerry's :)

No Air - Jordin Sparks & Chris Brown
This song reminds me of my 13th birthday. I had a murder mystery party, and I remember how after the murder mystery part of it, we danced to this song in my basement. That was my favorite birthday party ever!




Popular - Wicked Cast
Wicked is my favorite broadway show ever. The first time I saw it was in Chicago. I have seen it once since then, and I'm going to see it next year too. It was SO fun seeing it in Chicago though!



Rose Garden - Nick Jonas
This song always brings me back to the Nick Jonas & the Administration Concert in Chicago. Seriously one of the best concerts I've ever seen, and one of the best weekends ever. I don't think I'll ever forget it. And this song specifically reminds me of the moment when my friend Abby and I were standing in the back of the venue, and Nick Jonas came out about 10 feet in front of us and sang that song as a small acoustic set. :)




Summertime - Kenny Chesney
This song doesn't exactly bring me back to a specific moment, but it brings me back to so many summer memories. Vacations, swimming, relaxing - pretty much anything associated with summer. This song just happens to be my family's #1 played song on iTunes. Yup, we've listened to it over 300 times!

Unfaithful - Rihanna
This may seem like an odd song to bring back memories, but in grade school I remember my friends and I loved this song. There were multiple times we were hanging out at someone's house and we would watch this music video and sing along. We also used to play America's Next Top Model all the time, but that's a story for another day - ha! This song is kind of bittersweet for me since it brings back good memories of friends I've grown a little apart from over the years.

Where the Boat Leaves From - Zac Brown Band
This song brings back a great memory for me! Three years ago my family went our summer vacation with some of my parents' friends and their family. One night we were driving back to our beach house, and my parents' friends turned on this song and said we had to listen to it because they knew we would love it. We ended up getting back to the house before the song was over, so we just chilled in the car and cranked up the music. It's such a simple memory, but it's a good one that I just haven't forgotten.




7 Things - Miley Cyrus
This song came out I believe either my 7th or 8th grade year. It always reminds me of a time when 2 of my friends and I jammed out to this song at my friend's house. Kind of one of those random memories, but still a fun one!

Springsteen - Eric Church
And last but not least....Springsteen. Seriously one of my favorite songs and the namesake for this blog post! This song will always remind me of summer 2012. But my favorite memory of this song? When my family was driving over to our friends' house for a swim night and we literally cranked up this song and put it on repeat the entire way over there. I just remember driving with the windows down, this song on, and a fun night of swimming ahead. Just seemed like one of those "perfect" moments where all was right in the world!



To me, music is just such an amazing thing. I don't think anything else can bring back an old memory quite like a song can. I can't wait to see what other songs I add to my list of memory songs in the future.

Do you have any songs that spark any good memories for you every time you hear them?

No comments: